U.S. Department of Justice officials plan to request an emergency court reversal of a federal judge's decision from Monday that temporarily stalled President Barack Obama's executive actions on immigration, according to the White House.
The administration plans to submit its emergency stay of the judge's injunction by Monday. Deportation relief programs outlined in President Obama's immigration reform executive orders would be allowed to proceed if the stay is approved.
One of the two programs created under Obama's executive actions, the expand the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) initiative, was scheduled to launch on Wednesday. Obama's executive orders also call for a new Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA) program, slated to begin in May.
In addition to seeking an emergency stay, the White House also said it expects to appeal the ruling issued by judge Andrew Hanen of the Federal District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
"We will seek that appeal because we believe when you evaluate the legal merits of the arguments, that there is a solid legal foundation for the president to take the steps he announced last year to help reform our immigration system," said White House press secretary Josh Earnest.
Hanen's decision to halt Obama's immigration reform executive orders came in response to a lawsuit filed by a group of 26 mostly Republican-run states seeking to stop the president's immigration directives. Hanen determined that the states met the minimum requirements needed to proceed with the lawsuit.